Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Avatar: Voki Part III

I challenged myself to create an 85 word speech for my avatar to introduce itself/myself with. To manage my word count, I opened a Word document and watched my word count increase at the bottom of my screen as I typed.


However, there is another way to check your word count as well as other statistics related to your text; it is done by enabling readability statistics.


I enabled readability statistics in Word many years ago because this function allows users to access the readability level (suggested reading/grade level) of text as well. Therefore, if I am bringing books into the classroom, I can copy a selection of the text into Word to determine how complex the language is and whether it would be more appropriate for more advanced or struggling readers.


By enabling readability statistics, one is able to check the following:
  • Number of words
  • Number of characters
  • Number of paragraphs
  • Number of sentences
  • Sentences per paragraph
  • Words per sentence
  • Characters per word
  • Ease of reading
  • Flesch-Kincaid readability level
To enable readability statistics, one must do the following:
  1. Click on Word
  2. Click on options
  3. Check the box for readability statistics
To access statistics, one must do the following:
  1. Click on the review tab in Word
  2. Click on spell check
  3. fix or ignore spelling and and grammatical errors
Once these steps have been done, a pop-up window with the statistics will appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment