Monday, October 8, 2012

Presentation: Prezi

Summary
            Last week, I learned how to use PowerPoints in new ways; this week, I learned how to use a more “modern” version of the presentation application called Prezi. Prezi is an online resource that allows users to create presentations with text, photos, videos, diagrams, shapes, a drawing tool, and a highlighter. While it may seem at first that Prezi is more limited in its functionality, I believe that it actually provides many more flexibility for the innovative designer. Most significantly, designing a Prezi is not simply about setting information into creative designs as is PowerPoint, designing a Prezi is about presenting information in a manner that corresponds to the logical thought patterns of a creative and critical thinker.
Without having had multiple experiences using Prezi, I would say that for me, using this application is like creating a fancy, professional graphic organizer. Unlike with PointPoint, which can be developed slide-by-slide as the user’s ideas develop, with Prezi, I would suggest creating an outline or other graphic organizer that illustrates major ideas in an organized fashion before beginning a Prezi project. When starting a new project, Prezi will give you the option to choose a design template which includes a diagram for your information or a blank presentation. With either option, you are given a canvas on which to create boxes or circles or whatevers of information that can be moved around, resized, and tilted. Prezi is the ultimate tool to use for thinking outside of the box, or should I say slide, and running wild with your ideas; the only rule is to reduce the risk of your audience experiencing motion sickness.
  One of the most iconic features of the Prezi is the zoom and pan features. This allows the user to easily group objects and information and to create an engaging and memorable presentation. These features make it possible to set information at different orientations while allowing corresponding information to be grouped. At the beginning of a presentation, the presenter is able to explain on big topic at a time before delving into specifics.


What I Did
            I opened a blank Prezi with the intent to create a timeline featuring information from the video I created for my last blog post. I started with a line. I added a frame for a title and frames to display pictures and information relevant to a time periods and immigrant groups using the bubble tool. I zoomed into the frames to add text (a title and bullet points of information). I imported a picture with the bubble tool. Things were looking a little like my PowerPoint slides so I spiced things up by changing the size and tilt of text using the zebra tool. Finally, I tried to accomplish something that I don’t believe could ever be done in PowerPoint. I zoomed into my pictures until it was no longer recognizable. I then imported another picture within the current picture. Using the path feature on the bubble tool, I connected the text in the order I wanted it presented and then did the same with the photos. By choosing to pan from the larger original picture to my inset photo, I was able to create a unique effect.  Now, when I show my presentation, it appears as though you are traveling to a location inside my photo to view a close up of an object. You have to see it to believe it.



What I Learned
            As this was my first Prezi, I sure learned a lot. I believe that if I had not watched the tutorials before getting started, I would still be figuring out where features are and how to use them several hours later. However, I would have to say that the greatest lesson that I learned from this experience is that I should not take PowerPoint for granted.
            The final product of a well designed and informational Prezi is something to be proud of. But, I found it to be significantly more time consuming than using PowerPoint. The features that make Prezi so special can be temperamental if one is not thoroughly practiced in using them. While Prezi allow the user to present information in a way, I believe, that can best promote learning (logical information flows, diagrams, and movement), I also believe that PowerPoint presentations are able to lead learners to learn and gain knowledge.

I also learned that
  • Prezi has a seperate site for educators called Prezi U.
  • Prezi users can collaborate to edit a presentation by clicking on a "meeting" button while working on a canvas.

How I Would Use It
            Students in Virginia and across the country are starting to be held accountable for their knowledge and ability to use computer technologies and applications. I taught students in a fifth grade classroom, many of whom did not have computers at home. These students were just beginning to use PowerPoint. I would most likely not go into a classroom expecting my students to use Prezi themselves. However I would allow students to use Prezi at home for a special project, such as a book report, if they were already familiar and practiced with using PowerPoint. I would first have to make sure that the student interested extending their learning in this way was in fact ready to move beyond PowerPoint and I would have to have the parent’s permission to introduce this technology as it is a web based product that publishes your projects publicly.
            In addition, I may use Prezi for select lectures in my classroom, however due to its time consuming nature, I anticipate limiting my use of Prezi for conference appearances and sharing information with my colleagues. Perhaps with more practice, I will find more uses for Prezi in my professional life.

Standards Reflection

Teachers Teaching Students
When teachers use Prezi to encourage student engagement with content area knowledge, they are meeting standard 1 “a” and 2 “a” of the ISTE-NETS-T’s standards. Both require the teacher to bring content area knowledge to students through technology in a way that encourages all to think creatively and innovatively about issues. As the Prezi anti-format encourages the development of a topic in a fluid and logical way, I believe that such presentations excite a student’s creative and critical mind.

Students Teaching Peers
When teachers encourage students to use Prezi in the way I described above, the teacher is meeting standard 2 “c” of the ISTE-NETS-T’s standards. By allowing select students to extend their experience and learning by creating Prezi’s after they have learned to use PowerPoint, they are providing those students with a customized learning activity through the use of a digital resource. This addresses the diverse needs of the gifted student.

Teachers and Professional Development
When teachers use Prezi to present at a conference or present information to their school colleagues, they are meeting standard 3 “a” of the ISTE-NETS-T’s standards. Most likely, they will have already learned to use and have employed PowerPoint in their teaching careers. Therefore, they are connecting what they know about this presentation application and transferring it to this newer technology. In addition, they are effectively communicating information to school personnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment