Monday, October 29, 2012

Diigo: Week 8: Technology Edition

This week, the materials added to my public Diigo library are related to technology. It has been customary for me to add news articles from sources such as The New York Times and CNN. While I did add a couple articles this week, I also wanted to share news related to a new technological feature and resource; I added a blog post from Google's official blog and a website.

As an undergraduate I studied earth science and oceanography. I'm crossing my fingers that I get to teach fifth grade earth and space systems which focuses on concepts regarding the ocean environment. I have tested and investigated many resources for a fifth grade oceanography unit and by far, my favorite has been Google Earth's underwater feature. I love the idea of taking students on a virtual tour of the seafloor!

Last year I learned about a project, known as the Catlin Seaview Survey, being conducted that would provide panoramic views of the Great Barrier Reef. These images were given to Google for use in Google Earth. In addition, by visiting the website for the Catlin Seavew Survey project, one has access to virtual tours of the Great Barrier Reef, information about the various locations were footage was taken, and more information about the project itself. For more information about Google's and the project's partnership and for a link to the website, visit my public Diigo library.

Next, I found an article written regarding the length of a high school education at one technologically based school. To find out why students are entering a lottery to attend this school for six years instead of four and visit my public Diigo library!

Finally, I found an article written regarding creating a fake identity for online safety. While this may not be something that I would encourage my students to do, the topic of internet safety is an essential part of the technology curriculum for every class at every grade. There are always new risks that shouldn't be taken and new ways to protect yourself; teachers should stay vigilant and share this information with their students. Since I have been required to create many accounts through this course, I figured it would be smart to investigate this internet safety tactic for myself. Visit my public Diigo library to stay informed!

No comments:

Post a Comment