Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Google Form: Google Drive

Summary
The user of Google Form creates this product with the intention to gather qualitative or quantitative data. While there are applications that allow users to gather such data through surveys, such as Survey Monkey, Google Forms can be used for an extra special purpose; a Google Form could be a survey or an online quiz.
Google Forms are best seen not described as they have two faces. Once a user has completed their form, it becomes available for public use as a website. However, the form’s creator continues to use the form through the use of a Google Spreadsheet. The individual taking the survey or quiz sees an arrangement of various question types on a themed background. They may be asked to go through one or more pages of questions. Once their answers are submitted, the creator can view responses in a spreadsheet without doing any of the work to organize the information. As Google Spreadsheet allows the user to employ formulas for easy analysis, Google Forms can be used as an efficient classroom resource.


How I Would Use It
Here is a list of simple ways I might use Google Forms in my classroom.
·         Attitude survey before starting a unit of study
·         Field trip survey (ask students about their learning and experiences to determine whether the trip was worthwhile)
·         Students create their own quiz at the end of a unit
·         Anonymous mid-term or end of year survey
·         Self-assessment form
·         Survey answers can give direction for class discussion
·         Survey students about a sensitive lesson topic (students do not need to be put on the spot; teacher can explain general student thoughts and feelings)
·         Grade student presentations in the moment

Google forms for professional development.
·         Departmental surveys
·         Survey answers can give direction to teacher or school wide meetings
·         Survey students for action research

I found a Google Presentation called “81 Interesting Ways to Use Google Forms in the Classroom” and like the following ideas.
·         Students survey other classes and graph results
·         Create a Woordle based on qualitative responses
·         Create a class story by collecting ideas for plot, character, setting, etc.
·         Entrance and exit tickets
·         Keep track of discipline referrals 


What I Did
            There are two ways to go about creating a Google Form. In Google Drive you can either create a form as with a document, presentation, etc. or you can open a Google Spreadsheet and choose “Form” from a drop down list from the tool bar. Either way, you will be served a simple page that gets you started by accomplishing three tasks. First, add a title. Next, add a description. Finally, create your first question. There are seven question types: text, paragraph text, multiple choice, checkboxes, choose from a list, scale, and grid. At first, I didn’t understand what some of these choices meant. I checked out a YouTube video of a Screencast which described each.
            I created my Google Form to be a getting to know you survey. I would put this or a similar form on my classroom website, hoping students would take the time to answer some questions about themselves, their family, and their favorite things. I found uses for each question type. I was pleasantly surprised to learn, while playing with the question types, that depending up the respondents answer to a multiple choice question, the user can set the respondent on a unique questioning track. For instance, for my survey, I am having students tell me which season is their favorite. If they respond that winter is their favorite season, they will be sent to a new page with questions specifically about winter. Therefore, I can ensure that respondents do not become confused or waste their time with unnecessary questions.
            When I was finished creating my form, I was able to share it as a website, I was able to embed it in my blog, I could embed it in a website, or I could email it.

Take my survey!
 
This is what my survey results look like.


What I Learned
            I had absolutely no idea that Google offered such a useful feature. What’s more, if I had noticed the option to create a form, I don’t think I would have understood its purpose or ventured to use it. I’m glad to know about it now, as I’m sure it will come in handy in the very near future.


Standards Reflection
Teachers who ask their students, their students’ parents, and their colleagues to respond to a Google form, there are meeting standard 3 “b” of the  ISTE-NETS-T’s standards. The teacher and respondents are collaborating to poll data using an online resource. Of course, data is ineffective unless something is done with it. The teacher who collects and analyzes the data is ensuring that the data will be used to inform classroom practices that will ultimately support students’ success.

Teachers who engage in action research may find Google Forms to be an asset to their work. Using this tool for such an endeavor would help them to meet standard 3 “d” ISTE-NETS-T’s standards. The standard calls for teachers to locate, analyze, and evaluate information resources using digital tools. Google forms allow teachers to locate, analyze, and evaluate authentic information. Overall, the outcome is the same, teachers are collecting research that allows them to use research for their personal development, to support research in their field, and to support learning in their classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment