Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Snipping Tool: Win/Mac OS

Summary
For various reasons I have used my computer’s “Print Screen” option to capture and share images of webpages for colleagues and students. One thing that must be noted about the Print Screen option is that, while pressing a few keys in order to capture, copy, and paste an image to share is a fairly simple task, with Print Screen, you end up capturing an image with superfluous details (the task bar, tool bar, scroll bar, etc.). To share an image without those details, you must find a way to crop the image which can take time and effort.
 
I was not aware until now that another option was available; the Snipping tool allows users to capture a cropped image of their active computer screen. With just seven major options, there is very little that is complicated about this tool. In addition to being able to select only the details you really care about, it also allows you to write a message and highlight text (there is also an eraser tool for undoing changes). My immediate reaction upon discovering this was, “Cool!” But, after practicing with it, I decided it was just okay. I’m not sure when I would really make use of the pen feature as it requires a significant amount of dexterity in order to create reasonably sized marks that resemble anything close to the English language. The computer's mouse is used to draw and works best to create simple exclamation points, question marks, and arrows. This tool would be significantly more useful if it included the ability to create text boxes such as those that can be created with applications like Paint and Word.
 
What I Learned
            Efficiency is key. Previous to discovering how to use the Snipping tool, I would use the Print Screen key, open PowerPoint, paste the image, find the cropping tool, crop the image, and enlarge the image. If the image wasn’t needed in the PowerPoint, I would then copy and paste it elsewhere. I almost can’t believe I have spent so much of my time going through this process. In the future, I will know to use the Snipping tool unless I need perfectly straight arrows or neat text.
            While the Snipping tool may prove to be an efficient tool for grabbing, collecting, and sharing educational materials, Snippers must be aware that copyright rules may apply for snipped images and text. I believe that I still have to learn where some of the fine lines between sharing and copyright infringement lie.

How I Would Use It
            Along with the pen, highlighter, and eraser options, users are able to save, copy, and send (email) their image. These options give the user the ability to either immediately embed an image in a project or to save it independently. The duel capability of this tool, I believe, is what makes it most versatile. For instance, I would use this tool to abbreviate lessons that rely on websites by selecting the most relevant paired images and text that is needed to introduce an idea, supplement students’ knowledge, or evoke curiosity and critical thinking.

             The Internet is full of great learning resources for kids but often there are not enough computers to go around or not enough time to get the class down to the computer lab. Information from these sites can still be utilized by teachers and students when the Snipping tool is used to selectively extract images and text. The snipped images can be used alone, in presentations, or on worksheets. Using the tool in this way can help teachers keep their lessons focused on what is most important, eliminating the temptation for teachers and students to become distracted by links and eliminating the possibility students will become enticed to surf the web.

             For instance, Time for Kids provides free articles and polls online. Stories can be snipped,


highlighted, and presented, or polls can be used for persuasive writing prompts.


Since the formatting, colors, and images remain intact, snips are easy to read and fun to look at. Anything that is irrelevant to the lesson can be blacked out using the pen feature.

What I Did
           While searching the web, I found something I would love to share with my students and include in a lesson. I then found the snipping tool, previously hidden away in the dark recesses of my computer, by searching through my programs in my start menu. After clicking on the tool, I was glad to see that I was served one direction ("drag the cursor over the area you want to capture"), short and simple! I was then able to choose the type of "pen" I wanted to draw with and the color. I made the image relevant to my needs by coloring it in using my mouse and saving it to my computer.
 
Standards Reflection
          This use of this tool meets ISTE-NETS-T’s Standard 1,  “b” and 2, “a.” Stories and articles such as those found on sites like “Time for Kids” are forms of digital literature that reveal real-world issues. They draw attention to these issues and with appropriate scaffolding from teachers, can be used to incite authentic problem solving from students.  In addition, while students may be engaged in learning experiences on individual computers, similar learning experiences can be had if teachers adapt websites’ resources for individual, small group, or whole class learning by providing snippets of the resources through alternate mediums.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Lorri! Great job on this blog post. I like how you made headings for the sections of your blog because it is a lot easier to read and reference. I had trouble getting mine to "flow" with all of the information we were supposed to include, and yours all seemed to fit together nicely. I think I'm going to steal the headings idea! Hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete