Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Image Grab:Jing


Summary
While I found Microsoft’s Snipping Tool to be an efficient tool for capturing an image, I was frustrated with it pen feature; luckily, Jing has a similar tool that offers two things the Snipping Tool does not. Like the Snipping Tool, Jing allows the user to capture a cropped portion of his or her active screen and alter the picture for emphasis. Unlike the Snipping Tool, Jing has text, frame, and arrow features. Many color options are available to adjust the way these features look on top of an image. Additionally, Jing has sharing capabilities. Using the ScreenCast option, the user publishes their image online and makes it accessible with a ScreenCast URL.

What I Did
            To use Jing, I downloaded it for free to my computer and went through a quick and easy set-up process. During the set-up process, I chose to have Jing start up with my computer. Now, when I turn on my computer, a small sun appears at the top of my screen. Clicking on the sun allows me to capture a new image and to view my history. An image is selected as with the Snipping Tool, by holding down and dragging the mouse to highlight the area of interest. The additional features are used in a similar way. Once I found an image I could use, I captured it, added frames, arrows, and text, the pressed the ScreenCast button as opposed to saving it directly on my computer. I had to wait a moment for the process to be completed. Afterwards, I decided to save the picture for extra measure so I right clicked on the image and choose, “save as picture as....” Jing creates all images as PNG files.

How I Would Use It
            I’m certain there are a million things that could be done with this tool. However, I think I would use it most to present labeled images to my future elementary students. For example, to teach the vocabulary associated with the features of coastal erosion for an oceanography unit, I can frame the features I want students to be familiar with, differentiate them by using a different color for each, and draw labels with vocabulary words using the text feature. To make sure no one gets confused, I can add arrows from the text boxes to the frames to make it clear.


I import Jing images just as I would any other image. After I have saved a Jing image and while I am creating a blog post, I click on the image of a Polaroid photo on my Blogger post tool bar which gives me the option to browse my files in My Computer. I find the image I want and select “Open,” then “Add Selected.” The image then appears within my post.
 
To access and capture free photographs I used Foter which provides hundreds of beautiful, quality photographs organized within searchable categories.

 Q&A
How/where do you save images on your computer?
Using Print Screen, the Snipping Tool, and Jing allows me to capture images to save to my computer. The Snipping Tool and Jing provide a saving option. Using this option, I usually choose to save my images to either “Pictures” or “My Documents” within My Computer. Otherwise, I simply save images by right clicking on the image using my mouse, and choosing “save picture as…”

How do you access you Jing history?
The little sun that appears when I have Jing open gives me three options when I scroll my mouse over it. Clicking on the center option will open up my Jing history. Here I can view, share, or delete any of the Jing images I have created.

How do you publish your artifact?
After creating my artifact, I can publish it by choosing the ScreenCast option. I can do this in at least two places. Just after selecting the image I am served the option to create the ScreenCast. Or, I can save the image and access my image in my Jing History where it once again gives me the option to create the ScreenCast.

What happens if you ScreenCast an item in your history?
The image I created opens up in a new window. Here I can copy the URL to the ScreenCast. This allows me to paste the ScreenCast in a location where it can be referenced by others.

How do you share your artifact with others?
To access my first image through ScreenCast, click here.        
To access my second image through Screen Cast, click here.

Standards Reflection
Using Jing to design new, digital resources that facilitate student learning applies to ISTE-NETS-T’s standard one part “a” and standard two, parts “a” and “c.” When a teacher is able to take a product and adapt it using digital tools, such as Jing, to create a new learning tool based upon their subject matter knowledge, they are not only meeting these standards but demonstrating their ability to think creatively, use tools innovatively, and invent new learning products. Such activity is bound to inspire young minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment