Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Résumé Revisit: Rezscore

Summary
While creativity can be a good thing when it comes to the design of a résumé, there are some “rules” that should be followed when it comes to things like length, order, and language. When I originally created my résumé I used books and online templates for guidance. However, I have recently been told my résumé was too long. In anticipation of the coming school year, I set up an appointment with Career Services in order to gain advice on making my résumé shorter (one page instead of two) and more presentable. I was complemented on the impact of my descriptions and was given the following suggestions.

·         “Honors” and “Activities” go near the end
·         List “Honors” and “Skills” one-by-one for easy reading
·         Align dates to the far right for easy reading
·         Dates should be specific if possible (i.e. saying Oct-Dec is better than Fall 2010)
·         Bold degrees earned and put them before educational details (this is what you want to stand out as your most significant accomplishment)
·         There is no need to mention President’s list or Dean’s list if you graduated with        honors (it’s implied)
·         There is no need to create two categories for “Skills” and “Languages”
·         Descriptions are not needed for volunteer positions held

In addition to addressing the above, I also update my résumé to reflect my current status. I changed my email address, my home address, I included my graduate education, and I put the action verbs of my last job in past tense. Last but not least, I updated the “Skills” section with newly learned technologies!

            Additionally, I uploaded the original document to Rezscore. This website, through three easy steps, provides instant feedback on résumé quality. It will show a graded score and commentary regarding what was done well and what would make it better. After uploading my document, checking the “Resume Help” box, and clicking the “Submit” button, I was served this screen.

www.rezscore.com
My résumé was placed in the 87th percentile and it was suggested that it could be improved by making it more concise and impactful with vivid language. Rezscore also sent me an email (although I did not ask them to or provide them with my address other than including it in my résumé) explaining that I scored 82 out of 100 for brevity, 90 for impact, and 99 for depth.

After revising my résumé, I submitted the revised copy to Rezscore, receiving the same grade and suggestions. However, the breakdown was different: 71 for brevity, 99 for impact, and 99 for depth. While I agree that my résumé is not as brief as it could be, I am happy with the extent to which it represents my accomplishments and do not feel that I could minimize it further without taking out meaningful content.  

What I Learned
After completing this activity, I now have a revamped résumé that I will be confident to send to my dream school. It can be hard to see deficiencies in things that you have personally created but, a professional should have the gumption and sense to consult higher-ups, experts, or colleagues to ensure that what they make available to others is the best possible product. Also, professionals should never be scared to make changes. In this day and age, nothing stays the same for long. Expectations change with the rise of knowledge and innovation. Products such as résumés and lesson plans should continuously be updated and revised.

            In regards to technology, I learned just how easy it can be for the Internet to scan, retrieve, and use your personal information. When I uploaded my résumé documents to Google Docs I was careful to obscure my address and phone number. However, I mistakenly uploaded the unprotected documents to Rezscore. This website and the people involved now have all of my personal information and know more about my history than any of my Facebook “friends.” I thought I was a knowledgeable and safe Internet user, but since this activity, I have learned to be more aware and careful. From now on, I will slow down and think carefully about what it is I use the Internet for.

How I Would Use It
            No professional can get very far in the working world without a well done résumé. Don’t let a poor résumé keep you from making a difference in our schools. If you are working towards professional development, you will always have something new to add. Use Rezscore safely to ensure that your accomplishments stand out and don’t go unnoticed.

Standards Reflection
            In aligning this activity with an ISTE-NETS-T standard, I would have to choose Standard Five. Since high school I have been doing what I can to develop skills that I can contribute to a school community’s effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal. Almost all of these things appear in my résumé. As I gain steam in the educational community I hope for my résumé to also demonstrate my commitment to professional improvement and lifelong learning. These are qualities that Standard Five requires to prove in conjunction with the use of technological tools and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment